Hola amigos! For those of you who follow me on facebook and twitter you will know that I recently celebrated the end of my 20‘s, the big 3-0! Which, as someone pointed out, is my 4th decade…gulp. Scary as it sounds, I think it is going to be marvelous!
It was a really great week because it just so happens to coincide with my hubby’s bday and the end of our journey in the Netherlands. So, we had several excuses to meet up with many of our favorite people, and eat some of our favorite indulgences.
I came across this recipe years ago when the cookbook Quinoa 365 came out. I’ve altered a few of the ingredients to make it lower glycemic, less allergenic and holistic nutritionist approved. Not only is it gluten free, it is completely flour free, and can be made dairy free also.
She really is a beauty. I think you will enjoy it immensely.
Gluten Free Quinoa Chocolate Cake
Quinoa 365 – adapted by Samantha Peris, nu roots nutrition
• 2/3 c. (150 ml) white quinoa
• 1 1/3 c. (340 ml) water
• 1/3 c. (90 ml) milk substitute
• 4 large eggs
• 1 tsp. (5 ml) pure vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean, scraped)
• 3/4 c. (170 g) butter, melted and cooled (or ghee or coconut oil)
• 1 1/2 c. (375 ml) coconut sugar (can use 1 cup if you dont want it too sweet)
• 1 c. (250 ml) raw cacao powder
• 1 1/2 tsp. (7.5 ml) baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) baking soda
• 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) sea salt or himalayan rock salt
- Soak the quinoa for 10 minutes, then rinse in a fine wire strainer. Transfer to a pot and bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes (until the water is absorbed). Turn off the heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease two 8-inch (20-cm) round or square cake pans. (I’ve also cooked this in one larger pan, or in muffin tins for cupcakes).
- Combine the milk sub, eggs and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Add 2 cups (500 ml) of cooked quinoa and the butter and blend until smooth.
- Whisk together the coconut sugar, cacao, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the contents of the blender and mix well.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans and bake on the centre oven rack for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool in the pan before serving. Frost if desired (I use a chocolate avocado frosting…recipe to come). Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.
Serves 8 to 12.