If I could choose the method by which I leave this earth, it would be to feed me these little bites of chocolate goodness until my body literally explodes and my veins are oozing with raw cacao and spirulina. Ok, perhaps that is taking it a tad too far, but these delights are my weakness, my death bed last supper, my ultimate craving. The combination of sweet, salty and chocolatey goodness always leaves my mouth watering for more…and it actually has algae in it! Yeah, only a nutrition nerd like me wants algae on their death bed, but just you wait and try it before you judge!!
I am not opposed to sweets, IF they are homemade and packed with raw superfoods, as this recipe is. Of course it is best not to overdo anything sweet, but there is nothing wrong with indulgence of this sort.
The sweets best to avoid are anything made with white refined sugar and flour…so that eliminates most of what you would find at any cafe, bakery or regular grocery store, ugh! Good thing you have a resource in which to refer to when making your own sweet treats…I mean me of course!
Ok, let’s get to the goods! The original recipe is from David Wolfe’s Superfoods book, but I have made a few optional, yet delicious additions. I hope you enjoy as much as I do!
Spirulina & Chocolate Balls
David Wolfe – SUPERFOODS adapted by Samantha Peris, Holistic Nutritionist
Always choose organic ingredients, when possible.
- ¼ cup hempseed
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tbsp spirulina
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 pinch celtic sea salt or Himalayan rock salt, finely ground (this is a must…the saltiness is divine)
Optional (any or all!)
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 2 tbsp organic nut/seed butter
- 2 tbsp goji berries
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
Mix all ingredients in a food processor, roll into 1” balls and freeze for 15 min then enjoy. Store in freezer for optimal freshness.
Then if you are feeling extra motivated, you can turn these superfood balls into:
Superfood Energy Bars
- ingredients from above
- ¼ cup whole buckwheat (soaked and rinsed)
- ¼ – ½ cup oat flakes
- ¼ cup goji berries
- 2 tbsp hemp protein
- ¼ cup nuts & seeds of choice
Just add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor (before rolling them into balls). For the bars you can press the mixture into a lightly greased (coconut oil) square glass pan or use parchment paper. Then freeze, cut into bars and enjoy on a hike or as a mid-day snack.
SUPERFOOD PROPERTIES (more info on my fave superfoods here)
- Spirulina – 1 tsp = Antioxidants in 2-3 servings of vegetables, 70% protein, great for everyone!!
- Goji Berries – 18 amino acids, 21 trace minerals, antioxidant. Add to trail mixes, breakfasts, tea, water (for flavour), smoothies, desserts
- Raw Cacao – ORAC 620-955(14x flavanoids in red wine, 21x AO’s in Green Tea), high in Magnesium, in 28 grams there is 314% RDA of Iron. Commercial chocolate processed in temperatures up to 150C – destroying nutrients
- Hemp seeds – high in omega 3’s, absorbable source of protein, complete protein, immune enhancing
- Coconut oil – immune boosting, antiviral, metabolism boosting, great for cooking!